Kilbirnie Castle (or Place of Kilbirnie) is situated in North Ayrshire between the towns of Beith and Largs. Though a listed building it is in a very bad state of repair. There are 2 distinct periods - a late 15th century tower to which an exceptionally handsome range was attached in the 17th century.
The tower is vaulted on 2 floors with walls over over 7ft in thickness. The palatial addition dates from around 1627.
In 1757 the castle was destroyed by fire and abandoned. Subsequently writings record that its 'pleasure grounds' were torn up by the plough.
Kilbirnie is building of the highest quality and importance yet ignored in writings - a fate it shares with many West of Scotland sites.
What a loss to our national heritage this building is.
One hundred years ago restoration was viable - today it would require a leap of faith but is still achievable.