This old house, locally known as ‘Sparrow Castle’, is situated in the village of Cockburnspath. Built of the local warm, red sandstone it consists of two abutting houses. The window mouldings and projecting corbelling hint at something old and this, together with a vaulted basement and first floor entry, would suggest 16th century bastles. It is in good condition and occupied.
Cockburnspath House pictured in 1900
Cockburnspath House - present day
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle