Retired Architect Ian Begg was the worthy recipient of the Nigel Tranter Memorial Award at our AGM in Stranraer in April 2013.
Ian being presented with his award trophy by Lord Steel of Aikwood
Architect Ian Begg
Ian was born in Kirkcaldy in 1925 and came under the influence of George Bain, his art teacher (who was famous for his work on Celtic Art) at High school.
After graduating from Edinburgh College of Art, he was apprenticed to Henry Hubbard, who had been chief assistant to Sir Robert Lorimer.
Ian subsequently joined Robert Hurd in Edinburgh in 1951, quickly becoming a partner, and later was in partnership with other architects who shared his passion for restoring old Scottish Buildings, including castles.
His castle restorations include Aboyne, Muckrach, Rossend, Law and Couston while he is able to cite major restorations in the Canongate, Edinburgh, old Aberdeen (for the University) and Emmanuel College, Cambridge, not to mention Hopetoun House, among his other achievements. Some of his new build projects include Hydro Electric Power Stations across the north of Scotland, the Radisson Blu Hotel on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh and his own home, Ravenscraig Castle, at Plockton.
Ian is an architect of international as well as Scottish renown. We are delighted that he accepted our invitation to accept the Nigel Tranter Memorial Award for 2013.