Powrie Castle ruined keep
Once a large, strong and comfortable stronghold, Powrie Castle now consists of a ruined 15th century keep and restored 17th century wing. These were once linked together by an enclosing curtain wall or range within a courtyard. The keep has two round towers at opposite corners making it into a Z-plan. It had a vaulted basement, fine hall and other chambers.
The two-storey 17th century range consists of a main block with a rounded tower at one corner. The basement is vaulted and contains a kitchen with a wide-arched fireplace and bakery and there have been two comfortable chambers on the first floor.
The lands were acquired about 1170 by the Ogilvies but passed to the Fotheringhams in 1412 who built the keep. The castle was sacked by the Scrimgeours of Dudhope in 1492. Nicholas Fotheringham of Powrie died at the Battle of Flodden in 1513.
The restored Powrie Castle Wing
The castle was attacked again in 1547 by the English, the same year that one of the family, Thomas Fotheringham, was killed at Pinkie. Alexander Fotheringham of Powrie fought for the Jacobites at Sheriffmuir during the Rising of 1715 and, although captured, later managed to escape.
The wing is in good condition.
Wording taken from
The Castles of Scotland
Third Edition by Martin Coventry