Liberton House is a 17th century L-plan tower house. It contains a main block of three storeys and a four-story wing, with a round stair tower corbelled-out to square at the top in the re-entrant angle. The walls are pierced by small windows and gun- loops, and are now harled and orange-washed. The house has been much altered over the centuries. The basement is not vaulted, and contains a kitchen and bakehouse, as well as the hall.
The name "Liberton" comes from 'lepers town', the lepers colony which was once reputedly located near here. Liberton House was built by William Little, Provost of Edinburgh, around 1605 to replace nearby Liberton Tower.
Public access is restricted to the hall and old kitchen. The garden has also been restored, and there is a 17th century doocot by the entrance.